Horticulture Level 3
In collaborative agreement with Land Based Training
What will you gain?
- Credits towards the National Certificate in Horticulture Level 3 and NCLA 2
- A knowledge of propagation seeds and cuttings garden maintenance, pest and disease control
- Skills you can use in commercial horticulture (for example Nurseries, Garden Centers, Orchards, and Horticulture Services
- An opportunity to visit other horticulture properties to see how they work
- Ongoing support from Wai Ora as you seek work.
- Maintaining and supporting gardens inMatipo Street Castlecliff
How will you learn?
- Our tutors are experienced and qualified in all aspects of how to grow things
- Unit Standard reporting & External
- Moderation provided by land Based Training
- Group korero Practical activities (hands on)
- Field Trips
- A personal diary of your mahi
- Work experience
Who can apply & How long is the course??
- You must be between 16-60 years old
- Due to the popularity of the course, all applicants will be interviewed before being accepted
- Free bus run is provided
- The course runs over 40 weeks
- The course hours are 9.30am to 3. 30pm.
When can I start & how do I enroll?
- You may start at the beginning of the course in March
- Later enrollments may be accepted by negotiation
- Contact us on phone 3435015 or Reg on 0274548863 or Marama 0220337612
- Or fill in form at bottom of page and we will be in touch
What do I need to bring?
- Your birth certificate
- One other form of ID
- IRD number
- Bank account number
We will enroll you on this course if you:
- Enjoy working outdoors
- Are fascinated by how things grow
- Want to work in the horticulture industry as a grower, landscaper, or garden maintenance.
- Want to eat what you grow
- Like working in a team
- Agree to work in the Matipo Gardens for ongoing community support.
What will you learn?
- The secret to how things grow
- How to grow seeds in a garden that you have prepared.
- Grounds care and maintenance
- How to plant out a variety of plants by hand
- How to look after a garden and keep it growing
- How to grow and pot up plants
- How to plan a home garden
- How to write a C.V interview skills, and preparation for the workforce in the horticulture industry
- Maori Culture
- Numeracy & Literacy skills
Upon the completion of this course learners will be able to…
- Understand how plants grow
- Explain the importance of health and safety in the Horticulture Industry
- Describe different crops and propagation
- Identify opportunities for employment
- Develop social skills and self-management
- Improved literacy and numeracy skills
Learner support services
We will support your learning with:
- Free transport
- Whanau support
- Legal issues
- A support person
- Literacy and numeracy
- We have now written a book called Ka Pai E kai it is for sale by phoning Marama 063435015 or 0220337612
- This book teaches the easy way to garden and how to cook healthy kai, it also teaches the Maori method of cooking healthy kai and the vitamin content of vegetables.